Musicarenje.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Musicarenje.net

Fly Fishing

Portal*PrijemTražiLatest imagesRegistruj sePristupi

G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia

Ići dole 
2 posters
AutorPoruka
Mersad Rajic
Guide
Guide
Mersad Rajic

Broj poruka : 531
Datum upisa : 13.10.2009

G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia Empty
PočaljiNaslov: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia EmptyUto 12 Jan 2010, 15:48

Hi Ray,

In the year of 1897 mr. G.E.M.Skues has been in Bosnia for about two weeks with his friend. They were in the city of Jajce and small village Jezero. Jajce is a city located in Central Bosnia on the crossroads between Banja Luka, Mrkonjić Grad i Donji Vakuf on the confluence of the rivers Pliva and Vrbas.

In the village of Jezero (mining -The Lake) they stayed about one week and left for another city and another river. They went to city of Ključ (mining-the Key) at beautiful river Sana.

The whole adventure Mr.Skues wrote in the book with title: Side Lines- Side lights and Reflections. In the Part 4.of the book there is a subtitle: Bosnia-The Turco as a Fly-Fisher.

In that book, you can read the whole trip written by Mr. Skues.

Mersad

This is an image of Waterfall at Pliva river. The river at the bottom(darker collor) is Vrbas river.

G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia 1zd6av8
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

Broj poruka : 233
Godina : 77
Datum upisa : 03.01.2010

PočaljiNaslov: Re: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia EmptyUto 12 Jan 2010, 16:06

Hi Mesad

The River Pliva looks spectacular.

Many thanks for the information about G.E.M.Skues visit to Bosnia - I have three books of his but not 'Sidelines, Sidelights & Reflections' will have to get a copy

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia EmptyNed 17 Jan 2010, 09:53

Hi Mersad

In the UK it has been cold and with a lot of snow this last month - but not as much as with you in Canada I guess.

How long have you been living in Canada?

I haven't obtained a copy of 'Sidelines, Sidelights and Reflections' yet have you more information of the visit by G.E.M.Skues to Bosnia?

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Mersad Rajic
Guide
Guide
Mersad Rajic

PočaljiNaslov: Re: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia EmptyNed 17 Jan 2010, 15:07

Hi Ray,
I’m sorry you didn’t hear anything from me. Simple reason, I was busy with my private affairs and did not have much time to be on this machine (that is how I jokingly call my computer).
You’re right about weather in Canada (not everywerw). This is mildest January around Toronto and South Ontario since I’ve been in Canada (from April 1993). Not too much snow, temperature around 1-3 degrees (little bit colder over night) but I can still manage my daily routine to walk about 4 miles.
Rest of day I’m sitting, either on this machine or my Fly Tying bench and working you know what: tying flies and sending them to my friends around the world. Last week I’ve send around 100flies to, Norway, Finland, England, California and Minnesota to my good friends and very good fly fisherman. All of them were born and raised in the city of Banja Luka on the river Vrbas and spent much of their life fishing on the rivers in Bosanska Krajina (Vrbas, Pliva, Sana, Sanica, Janj, Ribnik and others) but I was the One who usually tied flies for them. Now, they’re everywhere around the globe.
This is enough for this time and
Stay in touch and good health to you and your family
mersad
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Mersad Rajic
Guide
Guide
Mersad Rajic

PočaljiNaslov: Re: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia EmptyPon 18 Jan 2010, 20:02

Hi Ray,

This is what happened in Bosnia late 1897 when mr. G.E.M. Skues visited Bosnia:
During the visit to small vilage of Jezero on the river Pliva, Mr. Skues and his friend, came across one of wide-trousered solemnities wading mid-thigh deep the dazzling blue watters of our river Pliva waving a wand of some eight to nine feet, and casting among cascades a short but accurate line. Mr Skues was thinking seeing a solitary eccentric who was following at some distance an Austrian or English example. After couple of days they've seen more and more villagers fishing same way, some from the shore, some from hand dug-out canoe. They were catching same grayling and trout but small fishes they usually put them back to the river. Mr. Skues was amazed by their acts.
Most of vilagers were exited to meet English fisherman, but one of them, in the book named Adullah(correct name should be Abdullah) was most keen all of them, and he begged Mr. Skues offering to gillie them in fishing trips on the days to come. Mr. Skues took him for the rest of five days their stay in Jezero and he was most efficient gillie but constitutionally indisposed to travel either fast or far over rough native roads.

I will continue if you wish:
Regards
Mersad

In this photo you can see river Pliva above the village of Šipovo. Very calm, quite and slow moving river.

G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia 28j89d0
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia EmptyUto 19 Jan 2010, 12:36

Hi Mersad
The River Pliva looks absolutely fabulous.

Many thanks the information about the visit of G.E.M.Skues to Bosnia; yes please I very much wish that you continue with your information it makes absolutely fascinating reading.

Weather has been very cold here this past 5 weeks with overnight temperatures as low as -15C and a lot of snow; not the norm in recent times. So I have also been doing a lot of fly tying as it has been too cold for me to go and fish for grayling (I usually have a few outings each winter).

It is good that you keep intouch with old friends and I am sure they welcome your supply of flies.

Regards

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Sponsored content

PočaljiNaslov: Re: G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia   G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia Empty

Nazad na vrh Ići dole

G.E.M.Skues in Bosnia
Nazad na vrh 
Strana 1 od 1