Musicarenje.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Musicarenje.net

Fly Fishing

Portal*PrijemTražiLatest imagesRegistruj sePristupi

Grannom Egg Laying Technique

Ići dole 
4 posters
AutorPoruka
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

Broj poruka : 233
Godina : 77
Datum upisa : 03.01.2010

Grannom Egg Laying Technique Empty
PočaljiNaslov: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 18:33

Many of the UK anglering experts have stated in the past that the Grannom (Brachycentrus subnubilis) lays her eggs by dipping onto surface and deposits
the green egg ball attached to the tip of her abdomen into the water.

A recent article in one of the UK angling magazines has challenged this long standing view and claimed that the Grannom lays them underwater by
crawling beneath the surface. The article, written by expert angler entomologists Stuart Crofts and Oliver Edwards, appears in the January 2010 issue
of "Fly Fishing & Fly Tying".

Has any forum member actually witnessed the technique used by Grannom for egg laying in your country and which method is it ?

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

Broj poruka : 9731
Datum upisa : 14.10.2008

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 18:44

Very interesting stuf mr.Ray Idea Idea Idea
Grannom is me favorit caddis but I didn't know about that "hobby" of eeg laying females? scratch scratch scratch
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
http://www.flyfishingprimus.me/
Mixmaster
MASTER
Mixmaster

Broj poruka : 10000
Godina : 54
Datum upisa : 05.08.2008

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 19:29

I take a photo of grannom many times, but i never thought about reexamine their way of laying eggs. Maybe i'll do it next may.
Until then, just take a look at my super/macro picture of famous green grannom eggs.

Grannom Egg Laying Technique 4260126638_09b0d130aa_o

Poslednji put izmenio Mixmaster dana Sub 09 Jan 2010, 19:57, izmenio ukupno 3 puta
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Panic
Visitor
Panic

Broj poruka : 113
Datum upisa : 29.11.2008

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 19:39

Hi Ray, this is my old wet fly for the Grannom egg laying moments in late April nad beginning of May.

Some years the population of Grannom can be very large and reliable sign of this is the warmer periods of time without rain, and stable low water
level of rivers.

Grannom Egg Laying Technique Zelenas1

Best regards, Aleksandar Panic
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Panic
Visitor
Panic

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 20:02

Also, I'm not quite sure is the Grannom egg laying way dive or crawl into the water, but the fish positively respond on this and similar imitation used in the wet flyfishing style.
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 20:12

Madjoni egg laying is some hobby lol!

Hi Mixmaster,

Thats a great photo of the eggs - in the UK the Grannom hatch lasts for approximately two weeks about middle of April
It will be interesting to see if we both can spot some egg laying females .

Hi Panic,

There are a number of UK wet fly patterns similar to the one in your photograph. I have often wondered why for a 100 years or more anglers have been
imitating the adult natural fly with a wet fly pattern - interesting - is it possibly some of them realised that the egg laying females go below the surface.

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 20:41

Ray Lockyer ::
Madjoni egg laying is some hobby lol!

Well mate..we live in so cold civil rights time when females have their rights Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Maybe grannom ladies herd something about it lol! lol!
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Panic
Visitor
Panic

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 20:55

I think that is one of the reason, easier control of imitation, and less doubt that the trout can affect bad movement of the fly on the surface.
Also there is the assumption that the trout feed without fear deeper into the mass of water. The shape and color of true insect trout recognizes
excellent in all the layers of water.
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Mixmaster
MASTER
Mixmaster

Broj poruka : 10000
Godina : 54
Datum upisa : 05.08.2008

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 21:14

Ray Lockyer ::

Hi Mixmaster
Thats a great photo of the eggs - in the UK the Grannom hatch lasts for approximately two weeks about middle of April
It will be interesting to see if we both can spot some egg laying females .

Ray

Well, it will be great fun to capture that "suspicious" moment. I'm always ready for good waterside and aquatic mini-safari.

Grannom Egg Laying Technique 4259648643_9719d831ab
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 21:25

Hi Mixmaster

I like the sampling net. I have a very portable net - do not know how to post photo's on the forum yet.

I also will be looking out for the egg laying Gränna in April, but there are no Gränna on my local river where I fish most, I see them on other rivers
when I visit (within 1 hours traveling from my home).

Ray

Madjoni has shown me how to post photo's
So here is the portable sample net I use - it is sold to place over food to keep the flies off. I use it for 'kick' sampling the river bed, collecting insects
off the surface of the water and sweeping through the grass alongside the river. The net easily folds flat so can be stored in your fishing bag.

Grannom Egg Laying Technique V58syf
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique EmptySub 09 Jan 2010, 22:51

Hi Ray
I like your net better....i saw similar thing in honey making industry scratch scratch scratch
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Sponsored content

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Grannom Egg Laying Technique   Grannom Egg Laying Technique Empty

Nazad na vrh Ići dole

Grannom Egg Laying Technique
Nazad na vrh 
Strana 1 od 1