Musicarenje.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Musicarenje.net

Fly Fishing

Portal*PrijemTražiLatest imagesRegistruj sePristupi

Wet flies-Irish or...?

Ići dole 
+4
NikolaCG
Mr.Zacoola
Ray Lockyer
Madjoni
8 posters
Idi na stranu : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Sledeći
AutorPoruka
Madjoni
Madjoni

Broj poruka : 9731
Datum upisa : 14.10.2008

Wet flies-Irish or...? Empty
PočaljiNaslov: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptySub 16 Jan 2010, 21:57

Hi mr .Ray Laughing
This kind of flies just pop-up before me eyes study
Do you remember the song " Englishman in New York" scratch scratch Well you are our Englishman here and we have a lot of questions for you Laughing Laughing Laughing
p.s. please take no afend about that Englishman,we know that you are Welsh

Wet flies-Irish or...? 27xjwhv

and some more...dabblers? scratch scratch

Wet flies-Irish or...? V63jti
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
http://www.flyfishingprimus.me/
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

Broj poruka : 233
Godina : 77
Datum upisa : 03.01.2010

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptySub 16 Jan 2010, 23:26

Hi Madjoni
I know your sense of humor about your and Cousins! And you know I have skin like a rhinoceros anyway Laughing Laughing

The large photo looks like a mixture of a traditional Irish wet Mayfly and a Dabbler - both are generally used on sinking lines just when fishing subsurface and retrieved through the waves from boats on lakes or reservoirs.

The group photo has two flies with light coloured full French Partridge front hackles these are more typical Irish wet Mayfly patterns.

The Irish style wet Mayflies are very old and perhaps originate from a Hundreds or more years ago. The typical wet Irish Mayfly has a full and long front hack - usually made from natural or dyed French Partridge / gray Mallard Flank / Widgeon / Teal etc.

The Dabbler is a style 'designed' by an Irishman named Stuart McClean about 20 years old, it is said his fly tying skills at that time were not very good and he tried to tie a Mallard & Claret, a wet fly that has side by side wings made with bronze Mallard wings. I'm sure you realize that bronze Mallard is not an easy material to tie in this style and he failed to produce a well tied wing! The wings rolled around the Shank and covered (cloaked) the top half of the fly when he tied them in. He used the flies anyway and caught plenty of brown trout with them and the 'style' has become popular in recent years and many variations have been invented. Sometimes the differences between Dabblers and the traditional Irish wet Mayflies have become a bit Blurred (like the one in the photograph).

Hope that helps.

A Welshman writing to Montenegro.

Ray

Poslednji izmenio Ray Lockyer dana Sub 16 Jan 2010, 23:40, izmenjeno ukupno 1 puta
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptySub 16 Jan 2010, 23:35

hi Ray
My idea was to try this on river with floating line Idea What you think about that ?
Small number of people from this forum use sinking line.
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptySub 16 Jan 2010, 23:55

Madjoni
The flies are designed for casting from a boat when side Drifting with the wind - the cast is made in the direction the boat is moving ie you are casting with the wind on your back and you cast with the wind. They are retrieved at a speed slightly faster than the the speed that the boat is being moved towards the flies by the wind, if there is a decent wave these flies are retrieved back through the waves. You are covering 'new' water with each cast. They may be used with a floating line for this - the palmered hackles etc are designed to create some disturbance to imitate the Struggles of a Mayfly hatching.

I've never tried them as a 'dry' fly but have caught fish on them used wet in the large limestone lakes along the west coast of Ireland.

They would not be my choice fished as a dry fly on a river - but then the trout have not read any books and there are no rules that they follow. So give them a try: lol:

Ray

Poslednji put izmenio Ray Lockyer dana Ned 17 Jan 2010, 09:18, izmenio ukupno 4 puta
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyNed 17 Jan 2010, 00:02

Ray Lockyer ::
- but then the trout have not read any books and there are no rules that they follow. So give them a try: lol:

Ray
I like this part the most Laughing Laughing
I understood your explanation fine....but in Montenegro is forbiden to fish from the boat.Definitly one more odd thing to you but what one can do.We have banks to try but then we are limited with casting Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I 'll try them on river.I got feeling when i see good patern and I think this shall work fine cheers cheers
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyNed 17 Jan 2010, 00:15

So when I write something about lake fishing I will leave out boat fishing - a whole subject in itself.

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyNed 17 Jan 2010, 02:43

So when I write something about lake fishing I will leave out boat fishing - a whole subject in itself.

Ray
No no...write it all...lows could be changed Laughing Laughing Adlist I hope Crying or Very sad scratch
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyPon 18 Jan 2010, 12:49

I did some more skocko
Is this worth any? scratch Embarassed

olive

Wet flies-Irish or...? 5pefww

and black...

Wet flies-Irish or...? 2lvcpw3
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyPon 18 Jan 2010, 15:59

Hi Mladjen
Good first attempts at tying Dabblers - I would be happy to give them a try.

They are not the easiest of patterns to tie (lots of materials) and difficult to get to look neat and tidy - but they are designed that way to create a lot of disturbance when retreaved through the water.

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyPon 18 Jan 2010, 19:07

They are not the easiest of patterns to tie (lots of materials) and difficult to get to look neat and tidy - but they are designed that way to create a lot of disturbance when retreaved through the water.

Diolch mate
I like their profusionistic aperiance and I dont mind about tidines to much.My only concern is to make a 'lot of disturbance' in trout eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Mr.Zacoola
Champion Fly Tying Competition 'Musicarenje.net 2012'
Champion Fly Tying Competition 'Musicarenje.net 2012'
Mr.Zacoola

Broj poruka : 1812
Godina : 35
Datum upisa : 02.02.2009

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyČet 21 Jan 2010, 09:47

What a beautifull video!

P.S. Johnny, flies from video are look like your wets... Good patterns! What do you think about dry fly fishing with these wet flies? Maybe a secret weapon for nasty grayling? Rolling Eyes
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Madjoni
Madjoni

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyČet 21 Jan 2010, 10:10

Mr.Zacoola ::

Maybe a secret weapon for nasty grayling? Rolling Eyes
Well no....queen of the river is not my target Laughing
I have some stronger fighter on me mind Idea Idea His royal Highness mr.Strun(Salmo dentex) cheers cheers cheers
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
NikolaCG
INSTRUKTOR
INSTRUKTOR
NikolaCG

Broj poruka : 4911
Datum upisa : 25.03.2009

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyČet 21 Jan 2010, 10:42

Madjoni ::
His royal Highness mr.Strun(Salmo dentex) cheers cheers cheers

Me too! I am ready for them, and cant wait to show them some of wet flies made by Mađoni!

Wet flies-Irish or...? 120o106
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Ray Lockyer
Visitor
Ray Lockyer

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyČet 21 Jan 2010, 22:57

Mr Zacoola
It is a beautifull video and interesting to watch.

Majoni & NikolaCG

Salmon dentex - is this the marbled tout or has it another name?

Ray
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
NikolaCG
INSTRUKTOR
INSTRUKTOR
NikolaCG

Broj poruka : 4911
Datum upisa : 25.03.2009

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? EmptyČet 21 Jan 2010, 23:19

Marbled trout is Salmo marmoratus!

Salmo dentex is called "STRUN" and this is a local name, becouse this trout lives in Montenegro only, in couple rivers!

This is STRUN (salmo dentex)..

Wet flies-Irish or...? 316w0hz
Nazad na vrh Ići dole
Sponsored content

PočaljiNaslov: Re: Wet flies-Irish or...?   Wet flies-Irish or...? Empty

Nazad na vrh Ići dole

Wet flies-Irish or...?
Nazad na vrh 
Strana 1 od 8Idi na stranu : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Sledeći